September 14, 2011

Wacky Wednesday

Most of my summer TV shows are winding down.

That means NEW FALL SHOWS START SOON!

Sorry, didn't mean to yell.

People tell me I watch too much TV. Well, I say, it's research. Seriously. Earlier this year I was writing Chance of a Storm and found myself stuck. I knew what I wanted to do, but I just didn't have the right feeling for the scene. After a few days of staring at the screen, I put it aside and decided to watch some TV. There was a new episode of Chase on (now canceled) but it was as decent show, so I watched. One episode had this awesome scene in it where one of the MC's was looking for another MC who'd been kidnapped. A powerful moment happened in the show and I knew right then that was the emotion I was searching for. Of course I tweaked it a bit to fit my story, but it worked. TV helped me write.

Has a TV show or Movie helped you write a scene?

1 comment:

C D Meetens said...

Depending on what I'm watching, TV shows can lift me out of tiredness or a bad day, and put me in the right frame of mind for writing. In that way, they've helped me write a scene.

Also, inspiration for story ideas... but I tend to find them anywhere.