September 8, 2013

Jenn's Common Sense Rules for Online Dating.

Yes, it's true. I'm almost 40 and have never been married. I can't help it, I'm picky. I was over the bar scene not long after turning 21 but did enjoy quite a few years hopping around the karaoke scene. I learned tons about myself during that time, mainly, I really don't like drunk bar people. It's hard for me to tolerate drunk people I know, too. But, I digress.

Since I'm on the computer the majority of my time these days between work and writing, I've gravitated to some online dating sites over the years. I'm not here to promote any of them, rather, just give my two cents about Online Dating from a female perspective. I've seen blunders first hand and talked about some with others, and it seems like people have forgotten to use their common sense these days.

So, I've come up with a few rules, I feel, are common sense for everyone. Let's see if I'm right...

CSR #1 No one wants to see your package. Seriously. I can go to craigslist or one of those adult sites for that.

CSR #2 Selfies showing just your abs and nothing else are just as bad as duck-faced chick selfies. If you're in shape, awesome, have someone take a candid of you in a bathing suit, by a pool or even working out in a gym. Otherwise you look like a narcissistic douche.

CSR #3 Don't post an old picture unless you include a new one. Misrepresentation is not only disrespectful, it's dangerous. You wouldn't want someone to do it you, would you?

CSR #4 Try to smile. Yes, all girls love a bad boy, but deep down, most want someone with a personality who can make her smile and laugh in the end.

CSR #5 When making contact, "Hi" is okay, but it probably won't get you very far. Neither will some dirty comment, question, or suggestion.

CSR #6 We all know dating leads to sex. After all isn't that what everyone wants, sex and love? So be a gentleman and let HER bring it up during your chat or email exchange. You'll creep her out if you go too fast, especially online.

CSR #7 Be patient. Everyone has their own speed. Some want to chat and talk on the phone before making a date.

CSR #8 Always meet in public for the first time. This should be a given, but again...common sense. Remember, chicks can be crazy, too. :-)

CSR #9 Don't let a bad experience get you down. It's just like any endeavor in life, it takes a few times to get it right.

CSR #10 Be safe. Don't be stupid.

Well, there you have it, my first Common Sense post. What do you think? Funny? Boring? Should I keep going? I have a few more ideas...


No comments: