February 23, 2008

Update and book review.

Queries sent: 60
Rejections: 23
Partials requested: 5
Partials rejected: 4

I got a partial request yesterday. The agent responded today saying she liked the work, "I think they're quality but not really the kind of thing I'm good at." Then she gave me another agent in the office to send to! Woot! That felt nice. I've got my fingers crossed.




I read Decadent by Shayla Black today.

Blurb from book: Kimber Edgington is a virgin with a crush-on a pop star with a penchant for threesomes. Determined to prove that she's woman enough for singer Jesse McCall, Kimber turns to bodyguard Deke Trenton for sexual education...lessons that include his super-sexy friend Luc. Though she's saved herself for Jesse, Kimber soon learns that he's not the man adept at stoking her aching, endless need. That's Deke, and he can't resist when Kimber begs for more-and more.

I did read this book in one sitting. Initially, I bought the book 1. because I liked the idea of a virgin and threesome. (Yeah, I'm demented like that) and 2. I'm still "branching out" when it comes to reading and I haven't read an erotica novel before.

The first thing that gave me pause was Kimber. For some odd reason, and maybe because of the uncommon name, I couldn't for the life of me get the picture of stupid Kimber from Jem and the Holograms out of my mind.

You know, this one:

Anyway, once I got over the Red-Headed Kimber weird thing, we meet Luc and Deke. They're cousins. Hot cousins. One night, the other day in every contrasting sense. Kimber tells Deke what she wants. He's not sure she knows what she's asking. Luc seems ripe and ready to go, but Deke freaks poor Kimber out and she high tails it out. Eventually, Deke gets her to come back, agrees to her conditions--mainly that she wants to stay a Virgin for Jesse, and takes her home.

The instruction begins and Kimber can't help but face the building feelings she's having for Deke. Angsty love-hate plays a big part in the one on one relationship between them but the secrets Luc and Deke are keeping from her ultimately ruins the agreement before it really heats up. Kimber leaves, goes to meet with Jesse. For some reason, she thinks she loves this guy. He's a tool, but at least she's woman enough to see it and gets the hell out. Only problem, this is where the book begins to falter for me. This subplot carries over into a subplot about Kimber's father's and she finds herself possibly targeted by a man furious with her father. That subplot carries over into the relationships between Kimber and her brother's and everyone's preconceived notions about Luc and Deke.

Some of the conversations she had with her father and brothers was creepy. While I myself happen to be very open talking about sex with my parents, I don't think any father would say "He's had a hard on for you..." to his daughter no matter how macho he might be. I digress. Something bad happens to Dad. Kimber finds herself under lock and key and in the bed with Luc and Deke. Jesse continues to hound Kimber, telling how much he needs her to change. Kimber confesses to Luc that she's in love with Deke. They scheme together to get Deke to take her virginity, knowing he'll never get over the past unless he does.

After Kimber tells Deke she's pregnant, all the secrets start to come out. Luc has a secret. Deke has a secret. Their reasons for always sleeping with the same woman comes to light. Neither reason is quite good. Only after a third life-and-death situation, do Kimber and Deke get together....

I had a big problem with the subplots. They seemed like they were thrown in there just to make the book more exciting. I don't think it was needed. The relationship between Luc, Deke, and Kimber worked well on their own. The sex was good and believable. The emotions were raw and powerful when they were all together. I was kinda hoping the three of them would end up together. I enjoyed the first half of the book much more than the latter. While I understand erotica books are supposed to be hot and steamy (which it was), I think having real world subplots with little meat draws away from the great characters Black created. Tension does help to build great sex scenes, but sometimes they just get in the way and that's kinda how I felt while reading.

All in all, I enjoyed most of the book and think I might try another erotica book in the future. Maybe.

No comments: