August 25, 2011

Q&A Thursday - Interview with Sherri A. Dub

Thanks for joining us Sherri!

Comment with your name and email and Sherri will pick one winner to receive her e-book Witch Ball

Enjoy!

Why did you start writing and when did you decide to go professional?

I started writing as a young girl, in journals and school poetry contests.

I always loved going to the library and finding new authors and types of stories.
When I was 20 years old I won the Golden Poet award in California, and was hooked.  I knew this was what I wanted to do.  However, because I also love Archaeology, I followed that career path in college.

My first type writer was a Smith Corona word processor.  Today, I use an HP computer and the software, WriteWayPro.

Turning 42, I was nearly finished with my second novel, and had been submitting to agents and publishers whom were interested but not picking me, when I had to step back and look at what I wanted out of my writing life.  I wanted to get out of the slush pile and into the hands of readers.

This year, I decided to self-publish with the encouragement of my husband and several writing groups.  On April 21st, 2011 my wedding anniversary, I published Goddess Cottage a paranormal romance, on all E-book formats.  I chose Bookbaby.com to use for my publication needs, and I have never looked back.  I love their cover artists, too.

Recently, on July 23rd, 2011 I published my second paranormal romance The Witch Ball.

I don’t expect to get rich, but I wanted to get out there and begin my career.  My third book will be out on October 31st of this year.  You can view my website for details: http://www.sheropatra.com

Next, I’ll shop around for an agent.


What is the most difficult part of the entire writing process for you? Queries, pitches, editing…etc.

I love writing.  I find it soothing, exciting and an essential part of my life.  I don’t mind pitching, as I fully stand behind my writing.  And, I love working on queries, because it helps me to have a clearer vision of my work.

That being said, I know I have to find an agent, editors and publishers to advance my career in a positive direction.  But, the part I find most annoying isn’t any of those chores.
To me, contests are very difficult.  While bragging rights would be ideal, some contests aren’t accomplishing what they should, and they are very costly to invest in.

For instance, when I entered my first paranormal romance (Goddess Cottage) into RWA’s Golden Heart contest (twice), the most frustrating part of the process was the fact that my work was being judged by such a scattered array of judges that I’d truly have to have luck on my side for great scores.

What I mean is, I’ve entered and due to the process of 6 separate judges scoring 1-9, I’ve received completely different scores.  I’ve received 4 high numbers and two terrible numbers that won’t allow me to advance.  The odds are worse than Vegas numbers, that you’ll actually get a group that can assess your manuscript in an equal light.  Therefore, those two bad numbers or judges, who may have zero writing credentials and are just a volunteers, are going to ruin your chances of winning.

I know there are many contests out there, but I’m an RWA member and it was always my dream to win a Golden Heart.  However, I’ve come to realize that until it is judged by all published authors, agents or publishers, I really didn’t stand a chance at having a solid representation of fair scores.

So, for me, contests are the worst part of a writing career.  I’d love the recognition, but is the pricey process really worth it?  I don’t think so.

If you could have the same type of career as any author currently publishing who would it be and why?

Barbara Michaels aka Elizabeth Peters is the woman whose career I’d love to parallel.  First, she’s not just an awesome writer with fantastic novels of mystery, romance and adventure.  She’s also an Egyptologist.

She interacts with her fans, too, doing many promotional tours that coincide with her love for Egyptology and her own Amelia Peabody series about a female Indiana Jones type adventurer, in Egypt.

I love that kind of commitment to her work, fan base and her own passions. 

She’s very admirable to me, and her published works are always a delight that I read and re-read when I need a strong go-to book to occupy my mind.

Visit Sherri online: http://www.sheropatra.com/

3 comments:

Jenn Nixon said...

Great interview Sherri! Thanks for participating!

Jenn Nixon said...

Thanks for stopping by Lola, added you on FB and Twitter!

Alison said...

Thanks for the great interview. I love getting to know new authors :)

alison.fees(at)gmail(dot)com