September 13, 2012

Q&A Thursday with Joseph Christiano


Today's Q&A is with fellow Wild Child Publishing Author Joseph Christiano!

Enjoy & Comment.

What is the worst thing you’ve written, how did you learn or know it was bad, and what did you learn from it?

I wrote a short story when I was 13 years-old.  What more do you need to know?


Why did you start writing and when did you decide to go professional?

I wrote on and off all through my teens.  I didn’t get “serious” about it, though, until maybe five years ago.  I didn’t so much decide to go professional as I was lucky enough to find a publisher who allowed me to go professional.


Do you write in more than one genre? Which ones and which do you like the best?

I like to stay in the horror/suspense genre because that appeals to me as a reader.  I’m a huge fan of genre mash-ups.  Military/horror, or scifi/crime noir, that kind of thing.  It’s the literary equivalent of “Your chocolate is in my peanut butter!”  As long as they taste great together, why not put two different tastes together?
   

Do you read other author’s books when you’re writing? If so, do you read the same genre or something different?

I’m always reading.  For fiction it’s usually horror/suspense but not always.  I’m always up for something well-written.  Unless it’s paranormal romance.  Sorry, but that’s been done to death.  For non-fiction I prefer history and maybe a biography if it’s about someone I find fascinating.   


What is the most difficult part of the entire writing process for you? Queries, pitches, editing..etc

The whole thing is difficult!  If it wasn’t everyone would do it.  I guess my least favorite part is coming up with a killer idea for the story after it’s finished with the editing process and is being readied for publication.  I’ve said, “Oh, man, I should have done that!” a few times.  

If you could have the same type of career as any author currently publishing who would it be and why?

That’s a loaded question.  There are too many variables on which to base my choice.  Do I want financial security?  Fame?  Fans?  The satisfaction of having created something that will (hopefully) outlive me?  All of the above?  Too tough to answer. 

Author’s Bio: I have been a lifelong reader of both fiction and non-fiction.  My favorite genres in fiction are mystery, suspense, horror, and science fiction.  My non-fiction affinity is for history books.  My favorite and most influential authors are Stephen King, Alan Moore, Harlan Ellison, Richard Matheson, Stan Lee, Edgar Allan Poe, Agatha Christie, Neil Gaiman, and Michael Jan Friedman (who used me as a character in one of his Star Trek novels).

My premiere novel, The Last Battleship, was published by the fine (and intelligent) folks at Wild Child Publishing in March 2012.  My second novel, Moon Dust, is scheduled for release December 2012 by Crescent Moon Press.

 The Last Battleship - Click Image to Close
In 1944, the battleship USS Louisiana is torpedoed and sunk by a Japanese submarine. There is a single survivor. Four decades later, an expedition embarks to locate and document the wreck. The Louisiana's sole survivor, Ensign Robert Sayles (retired), along with his daughter, Jill, are honored guests of the expedition.

But things begin to go wrong aboard the research vessel Hailey Rose. Several crewmen are found murdered, and the ship's radio and engines are sabotaged. The pain from wounds Robert Sayles received in his escape from the sinking battleship return to haunt him. With a fierce South Pacific storm bearing down on them, the Hailey Rose's survivors must find a way to repair their vessel and contend with a murderer in their midst. A murderer with direct ties to the night the last battleship was sunk.

Is it Robert? Or is it... something else? And will they survive...The Last Battleship?


2 comments:

Jenn Nixon said...

Love your interview, Joe. Thanks so much for sharing with everyone!

Anonymous said...

I couldnt have said it any better to be honest! keep up the awesome work. You are very talented & I only wish I could write as good as you do :) …