February 20, 2014

Q&A Thursday with Paul Flewitt

Today's Interview is with Author Paul Flewitt! 

What is the worst thing you’ve written, how did you learn or know it was bad, and what did you learn from it?

Oooh, getting right into the bone of the matter…I like it!

I’ve written some pretty bad poetry in my time. I started out writing poetry as a youngster, so all that stuff would be utter rubbish. More recently, I seem to feel if a piece I’m writing is good or not, and I have a great group of beta readers who help me get things right. I read a lot in my spare time, so pretty much I’m self-taught as far as good or bad and my idea of what is which.

Why did you start writing and when did you decide to go professional?

I’ve been imaginative for about as long as I can remember and my parents taught me to read and write as soon as I was able to speak, so in that respect I guess I’ve always written. My first memory of writing with purpose was a poem I wrote as a youngster called “The Dead School”. I decided to go professional, if that’s what I am, around late 2012/early 2013.

Do you write in more than one genre? Which ones and which do you like the best?

I have only released in the horror genre, but I don’t rule out writing in the fantasy or sci-fi areas. I’m not a guy who ever says never; but I think it’s safe to say I’m never going to do a Jilly Cooper or Barbara Cartland style story. I do think that anything I write will probably be prefixed with the word “dark”.
 I have to admit to enjoying the horror genre. It’s the genre I enjoyed reading best throughout my life, so it’s no surprise that I would enjoy writing in that style. What I also find, though, is a really diverse and supportive community which exists out in the world. Fans of horror tend to be rabid in their following, and they’re such a fun group of people…weird to say, I know…but horror people are some of the funniest people around!


Do you read other author’s books when you’re writing? If so, do you read the same genre or something different?

I don’t not read, or I’d never read a book again. I read whatever I feel like at the time and go through various moods as far as books I read is concerned.

What is the most difficult part of the entire writing process for you? Queries, pitches, editing..etc.

Synopsis and blurb writing; no doubt about it. It’s the devil’s own work.

If you could have the same type of career as any author currently publishing who would it be and why?


That’s a great question… it’d have to be a combination of three different authors if we’re talking real dream sequence stuff. I’d love to have the profundity and the lifestyle of Clive Barker, he seems to have a lot of fun, makes some great movies, writes and paints. He is a complete artist. The other is Stephen King, simply because of his commercial success. Anyone who says they don’t want to make a good living from their writing is a liar. Yes, the art is important to me; but I also have a mortgage to pay and mouths to feed.

Paul Flewitt lives in Sheffield, UK with his partner and their two children. He is a writer of horror and dark fiction with JEA press. 

Paul is the author of "Smoke" a flash fiction which appeared in OzHorrorCon's Book of Tribes anthology, "Paradise Park" from JEA's All That Remains anthology and the stand alone novella "Poor Jeffrey" through CHBB'Vamptasy press. He continues to work on further pieces...

Smart url for Amazon book page; http://smarturl.it/PoorJeffrey

No comments: