December 6, 2008

Writing, Movies, and a little TV this week...

I actually did a bit of writing this week. Go me! I got another rejection, but that's okay...it was from February if you can believe it. I still have about 25 query letters out there with no responses. I think I'll wait to hear from the other agents and editors before I resubmit...if I do at all.

I entered my first page of Lucky 1 to the Dear Author site, let's see if it gets picked for review. That would be fun!

My NJRWA party is next Saturday. I'm looking forward to it! We have some very well known authors in our group--as I am sure there are in others--that I've become friendly with. I love picking their brains, but I always try to do it in a laid back kinda manner, which seems to work well for me. I learned, long ago at Paychex, that if you listen more than you speak, you can learn lots of things. It's true!

This year with NJRWA has been fantastic. Even though I don't consider myself a romance writer specifically (I'm more a romantic elements writer...I think) I've learned so much with this group that I plan on sticking around next year. I'd like to join another group too, I just have to find one that fits. Any networking is good networking, yes?

I have a favor to ask of anyone who wants to help. Last year, I did the NaNo competition. I hit the 50K words, a bit more, and then I stopped writing. I didn't think the story was good enough to finish. But, I read it again the other day and thought it wasn't half bad for a rough-rough draft. The ideas I came up with for this futuristic society are pretty cool. Depressing, but the way things are going, my ideas seem more scary-realistic than "out there", if you know what I mean...

So, I've posted the prologue and part of the first chapter. (It's short, I promise!) I haven't decided if I want to revisit it yet. I'm not sure it's worth it because no one has read it yet. Would you like to be the first? I'd love to hear ANY feedback, good or bad. NANO 2007 If you do read it, please keep in mind it is a VERY rough draft. I edited it a bit, but not much...so forgive any obvious errors.


I watched 30 Days of Night finally. I like Josh Hartnett and his squinty eye acting. He's cute. Anyway, the movie was great...for a while. As we were getting closer to the end, I said to my brother, "This movie's pretty good so far, better horror than Saw IV...let's see how the ending is, you know how I feel about endings." So then his character, Eben goes and does something...that I don't think any Human would do when faced with evil vampires. UGH! It ruined the WHOLE movie for me. I even went so far as to look up the graphic novel summary to see if that's how it was done in the book. It was. UGH X 2!!! Okay, maybe it was done for the specific purpose of having an unusual ending, but as I was watching it and cringing in horror, I had a feeling there was a reason for the way it ended. Sure enough, there are other novels out there continuing the story. Eh. No good in my view. Ah well, I probably wouldn't watch it again, but I'd recommend it to anyone who likes horror. Everything but the ending was pretty darn good.

I also watched the new Hulk movie with Ed Norton. I thought it was good. I didn't watch the first one with Eric Bana, which I heard was bad. The CG of the Hulk was great and I loved how they showed his emotional side.

Gladiator...in HD. Need I say more? I've watched it 1.5 times in the last week. LOL

Heroes, Gossip Girl, and Survivor were also good this week. I haven't watched Pushing Daisies or 11th Hour yet, but I have them recorded!

With the Holiday hiatus, I plan on finishing Lucky 3 so I can start editing. It needs it, badly. I just have to get through the tedious middle--make the climax sparkle and tie it up. It'll be a semi-happy ending. Lucky can't have everything nice at the end. She's a drama magnet...

Ah well, I'm off. Hope you all have a great weekend!!

No comments: