July 21, 2011

Answering my own interview questions!

I figure it's only fair that I answer the same questions that I ask my guest when they stop by...so here we go!


What is the worst thing you’ve written, how did you learn or know it was bad, and what did you learn from it?

The worst thing I've written was probably something back in High School, but my first "novel" fits into that category too. I learned that my descriptions were TOO long, I learned my dialogue was decent, I learned that I actually knew how to plot, but also realized that I told a lot of the story instead of showing it. The main thing I learned, however, was that I loved writing. So, I never stopped.

Why did you start writing and when did you decide to go professional?

I started writing in elementary school, poems and short stories mainly. Right now, I consider myself still trying to get to a professional level. Yes, I've gotten paid for writing, but I have my own "professional" goal I'm trying to achieve!

Do you write in more than one genre? Which ones and which do you like the best?

I write in many, many genres. Suspense, Thriller, Science Fiction, Mystery, Romance, YA, and sometimes a combination of those. My favorites to write are the Suspense/Thrillers and Sci-Fi. You can get away with almost anything as long as the reader believes it! 

Do you read other author’s books when you’re writing? If so, do you read the same genre or something different?

I used to read when I was writing, but I realized that the book had a slight influence on what I was writing at the time so I stopped doing that. If I do read something, it has to be a completely different genre then I'm writing. 

What is the most difficult part of the entire writing process for you? Queries, pitches, editing..etc.

Queries and the dreaded synopsis used to be my crutches, but I've learned how to manage them these days. Now, I'd say the editing is the tough part, especially since I'm more versed in the rules of writing. I still hate doing a synopsis, but at least now I know how to do them right!

If you could have the same type of career as any author currently publishing who would it be and why?

I have a few authors whom I admire and would love to have a sliver of the career they've had. Mary Higgins Clark was my first author crush. I've since moved on to other writers, (for various reasons) but her career is still going strong and her reader base is enormous! On the flip side, I'd be happy simply paying all my bills with my royalties from writing...even if that means I never get on a best sellers list!

Current releases:
Wild & Wicked - Romantic Suspense
Chance of a Storm - Romantic Suspense

1 comment:

Christine Rains said...

That was a good self interview! :) I'd be happy paying my bills with royalties too.