August 8, 2013

Q&A Thursday with K A Davur

Today's Interview is with author K A Davur.

Enjoy & Comment!

What is the worst thing you’ve written, how did you learn or know it was bad, and what did you learn from it?  Like most writers, I have this old folder of angsty teenaged po-e-treeeeee that makes me cringe, especially when I remember that I actually read most of it aloud at various events.  The raw emotion does have to be respected, to some degree, though.  Maybe. 

Why did you start writing and when did you decide to go professional?
I’ve never not written.  I have diaries from when I was in Kindergarten or earlier filled with stories.  I still remember the first time I was recognized and singled out for my writing, which was in first grade.  They created a beast!  I took nearly a decade off from writing; people go out of their way to tell aspiring artists of any sort all of the reasons that we will never, ever make it.  It gets so discouraging and effectively strangles one’s muse.  While I’d like to strangle my muse at times (her name is Cecelia and she’s a fickle little monster), I think that’s one of the greatest disservices we do our children.  Help them dream; they will discover reality on their own. 

Do you write in more than one genre? Which ones and which do you like the best?  I have written a great deal of non-fiction in the past.  I used to be a doula and a midwife, and was published in some professional journals.  I’m surprised at how much I incorporate the knowledge I gained there in my work now, though I guess it makes sense.  Birth is a naturally dramatic event!  Now, though, I’m writing speculative fiction.  The novel that was just released was a vampire themed comedic thriller for kids.  My next two are for adults. 

Do you read other author’s books when you’re writing? If so, do you read the same genre or something different?  I cannot read my same genre.  Either I start to subconsciously mirror their writing, or I get intimidated.  I’m always reading something, though.  Right now I’m reading “Raising Riley” by Brick Marlin and “The Others” by Thomas Tryon.

What is the most difficult part of the entire writing process for you? Queries, pitches, editing..etc.
The hardest part for me is anything that is technologically based.  I’m a bit of a Luddite!  I write everything in comp books that I buy when they are on super clearance for back to school.  I’ve always said that a notebook is an invitation but a cursor is a demand!  The moment comes, though, that I have to actually type it up and edit it and that’s when the problems begin. I take care of all of my own publicity, which means pinterest, twitter, a website, goodreads, etc., so I’ve had to learn quickly.  I’m not good, yet, but I’m at least proficient. 

If you could have the same type of career as any author currently publishing who would it be and why?  Kevin Smith!  He gets to go to cons and hang out with all the same amazing geeky folks as I, but THEY pay HIM.  They seek HIM out.  That would be awesome!

@k_a_davur

No comments: