July 31, 2014

Q&A with...me, Jenn Nixon!

I asked for some questions to answer. Feel free to add more questions in the comments and I'll update. :-)

Here you go!

Chet C asks: How much emphasis do you put on research when you write?

Great question. I try to make my characters and plot as realistic as possible despite the genre. When writing something like Lucky's Charm, I want to make sure everything is believable, so I did a lot of research on guns, locations, and the psychology of someone who kills for a living. If I'm writing Sci-Fi or something based outside of our normal reality, I tend to stay away from too many scientific or technical jargon since I'm never sure if I'm using it correctly, but I research just enough to be able to explain it truthfully within the story.

Sue V asks: What is your worst timesuck (i.e., what makes you facepalm when you realize you just wasted X number of hrs instead of writing)?

Ha! The EVIL Timesuck! There are SO many. Usually, when I'm writing, I try to avoid the timesuck that is social media, Facebook, Twitter, etc. I do, however, have a bad habit of getting timesucked into reading more than I need to when researching. Sometimes I have to research in the middle of a paragraph because my character says something or goes somewhere that I'm cluesless about. That's always fun!

Andrea N asks: How do you get your creative juices to produce great stories?

Love this question! Many of my ideas come from brainstorming with friends. I give them a general idea of what I'm thinking about writing and we play around with it until it sounds even better! Sometimes I'll be inspired by another book, movie, TV show, sometimes a character or even an actor.

Adam T asks: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

The answer is 42. Right?

Dauna M asks: How long have you been writing? What inspired you to become a writer?

I've been "writing" in one form or another since about 10-11 years old when I started off with poetry. I eventually started writing Fan Fiction in High School and College! Lots of fun. I didn't decided to take it seriously until I finished my first original story and shared it with friends. They LOVED the story and kept asking me for more, so I did, and I haven't stopped yet!

Luanne T asks: When is your birthday?

April 23rd! I'm a Taurus!

How about you, do you have a question? I'm game, are you?

No comments: