July 21, 2016

The Nice "Guy" really does finish last. I still won't turn into a jerk.

You know all those sayings your grandparents and parents taught you when you were younger?

Treat others and you'd have them treat you.

If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Don't burn your bridges.

Learn to turn the other cheek. Etc.

I've tried to live by those words for most of my life. Sure, I was an angsty teenager and did my share of name calling. I was also an angry 20 something and made fun of people behind their backs. I am not perfect. I've dome mean things, but I've never EVER been a bully. I was bullied, so I know how that feels and I would never do that to another person.

Anyway, I am the type of person who will go above and beyond to help someone if I am able. I've spent hours on the phone, in chat rooms, and in person talking to people who were sad or depressed or just needed a friend. I've offered to help coworkers, friends, authors, and even complete strangers in any way I'm able to see them succeed or find answers or just listen to them vent.

As a kid, I never understood "No good deed goes unpunished". I'm learning more about this as an adult. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, that good dead will result in you being called a brown noser or suck up. Others will think you're nice and helpful because you're trying to "look good" or seem better than everyone else. And believe it or not, some people will think you're a complete phony or trying to get something in return.

MY HELP never comes with strings. Yes, it's true, I may one day come to you for help in an area you are way better than me at, but I've NEVER helped anyone with the express thought they'll help me back one day. Isn't that what friendship and common courtesy is in the first place?

I don't care about the haters. I'm still going to be nice.

I'm going to scrape the change out of my car every time I see a kid collecting money in front of the Quick Check.

I'm going to help that older person in the store reach or something so they don't get hurt.

I'm going to give up my seat to the pregnant lady on the train or bus.

I'm going to ignore the haters and support the causes I believe in.

I'm going to ignore the favoritism I see all over the place and still offer to help a complete stranger with anything I can help them with be it writing, answering a silly pop culture question, or sharing their charity project on twitter.

I'm going to keep preaching love and tolerance and diversity and freedom and open-minded thinking regardless of how backward some of this planet seems to be thinking right now.

Yep, I'm still going to scream at the idiot driver in front of me when they piss me off, but that's largely my lack of patience at the time and rarely has anything to do with them. (And I never make it personal) lol Because after all I am human and there are a lot of stupid and mean people in this world regardless of how much information we all have at our fingertips.


No comments: