January 19, 2009

Losing friends, gaining new ones...

I went to a wake on Sunday for a friend of mine from way back in the day. I only recently got back in touch with her after about ten years and now, she's gone. I knew two of my other friends were going to be there, so I wanted to go and show my support. It was great to see them, and I hope we keep in touch this time. Her family was there too. I didn't think any of them would remember me, so I didn't approach, though, I probably should have.

My heart ached for her brother. Because I know, if I don't die before my brother, I'll be a basket case for a very, very long time. Even though I have "best friends" my brother will always be my first and truest best friend on this planet...

I'm constantly checking myspace and facebook for old friends I've lost touch with. There are still a few I haven't yet found, but I am determined even if they don't remember me at first. Every person that has entered my life, even if for fleeting moments, has impacted me on some level. I'm still trying to find some of my old high school teachers. Maybe one day.

I've made a lot of new friend just in the last year alone and already I can't imagine my life without them. Sadly, I know I will lose touch with some of them in the years to come, but with the internet, I'm hopeful to remain apart of their lives even if only sporadically.



I'm VERY excited about tomorrow. I'm pissed that it's not a national holiday or half day or something. I'll probably sneak out of work during lunch and head over to my trainers house to watch some of the ceremony, I hope that's enough to hold me over. :-)

Considering today is MLK Day, I think it's wonderfully fantastic that the inauguration is tomorrow. Very fitting. Maybe now the rest of the county and the rest of the world will truly start to look beyond the color of someone's skin and seek what is in people's hearts instead. I've been fortunate enough in my life that I haven't been surrounded by racist people. Yes, there are some bigots in my family, but they are older and set in their ways....as some would say. I call it ignorance. Plain and simple.

The world is constantly changing. While many people do not like change, it must happen. My theory about this is odd, yet to me, makes sense. When people stop changing, learning, growing, they start to die on the inside. They keep their ideals and beliefs so close to their chest that it burns a hole inside of them so deep they can't recover. If the weather stopped changing the planet would die, right? If we as the human race never changed, we'd still be in caves hunting with spears. If the universe never changed we might not even be here.

It's okay to be weary of change. Not all change is good. But if you keep an open mind and an open heart, more will come to you than not if you simply realize change will happen.

I'm ready for change. I'm ready for the struggles that come along with it.

I don't remember which speech it was, but I had a feeling, deep down inside that Obama was going to be our president. For once, I'm glad I was right.

HEROES/24/GOSSIP GIRL tonight! *Squee*

No comments: