February 1, 2012

I'm not obsessed...it's a phase!

You know crazy obsessive fans, right? I'm not talking about the avid collectors, experts, or even the cos-players, but the people that are REALLY scary crazy about something or someone, where all they do is live and breath what they love.

Okay, that's not me. I'm sure I have the ability to get there, but the problem is, I like WAY to much stuff. However, I tend to devour things I love a lightning speeds, especially if I'm behind the trend which happens on rare occasions. :-)

I go through what I like to call phases.

These phases can last for a couple days, weeks, or sometimes months.

Take for example Harry Potter. I was actually in England before the books became uber-popular here. My sister was young at the time and read the first book. She asked me to pick her up something Potter-esque since I was going to be there. I found a cute Potter Beanie Baby and bought it. I also wandered into a book store. Yes, it's true, I could have purchased UK Hardbacks of the first two or three books, but I had a small bag, already stuffed with books I wanted to read at night, and didn't have the room.

Big mistake. I would LOVE to have those copies right about now.

Anyway, I watched the first movie with my sis when it came out and I was hooked! I read every book available at the time, four of them I think, and finished them within a week or so. I read reviews, blog posts, news articles, cast bios, you name it. I absorbed everything Harry Potter.

I do this often.

I've phased-out over everything from TV shows like PowerPuff Girls and Doctor Who to Movies: Lord of the Rings, HP, and even Books, JR Ward, Lee Child...etc, just to name a few.

I've never made a fan site, but thought about it.

I've never dressed up in costume, again, thought about it.

I just can't seem to help myself when I really love something.

Right now, I'm on a Sherlock kick. The new BBC show is utterly fantastic. It's made me realize that I need to write a mystery.

Mystery is my first love. It started way back with Encyclopedia Brown. I love trying to figure things out. The majority of the shows I watch usually have some type of mystery; Castle, Bones, LOST, Supernatural, you get the idea...

Mystery has blended some with the Suspense and Thriller genre, but there is something exciting about a straight mystery. You start with the end result then try to work your way back to the how and why. Who can resist? I can't, maybe you can?

Do you obsess over anything? What do you do to get it out of your system so you can move on to the next phase? I'm curious.

4 comments:

Christine Rains said...

Oh yeah! I do the same thing. I think my Harry Potter kick has lasted for over ten years. I really need to watch Sherlock. I've heard so many great things about it.

Jenn Nixon said...

Christine, you should get on the Sherlock wagon now!! It's amazing. First three eps are on Netflix!

Terri Talley Venters said...

I read all the Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, twilight, Sookie Stackhouse, Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Alex Cross, Dirk Pitt am many more series. Saw the movies too, but never got obsessed. Maybe because there were so many, I couldn't overdose on any one series. But I'm obsessed with the reality show, Survivor. Colby is still my favorite. And now I'm addicted to the big bang theory. I haven't read the hunger games, but it's my list. Wow I read alot. If I focused more on writing...

Jenn Nixon said...

@Terri, you DO read a lot, wow!!

I love Survivor & Colby is my fave too, he's on twitter, so is Jeff!

And BBT & HIMYM are my two fave comedies right now!!