July 5, 2012

Q&A Thursday with Bob Horbaczewski


Today's Q&A Interview is with Author Bob Horbaczewski!


Enjoy & Comment!!


Why did you start writing and when did you decide to go professional?


I've been writing since I was a very young child. In the sixth grade I made my first attempt at writing a novel. Unfortunately my family moved from Hawaii to Arizona and the distractions of youth took my attention away from it. My passion for writing however always remained. In 2000, following my parents divorce, I dropped out of college to help my mother through that process. That unique situation gave me the opportunity to evaluate what I wanted to do with my life. Together with a group of friends, I wrote and directed my own independent movie, 'Into The Darkness', which can be seen on YouTube. That adventure was my first attempt to make writing a profession. Though it was not successful financially, the experience of seeing my words come to life was enough to cement the need to create within my core.


Do you write in more than one genre? Which ones and which do you like the best?


I have written in different media forms, screenplays, poetry, novels. Currently I enjoy writing Science Fiction and Fantasy, though I also try to write in other genre's as the stories come to my mind. Science Fiction and Fantasy hold a special place in my heart as that is the genre I have always been the greatest fan of. I grew up with Dune, Star Wars, Star Trek, Dungeons and Dragons, and so many other entries. The wonder of what may be or what might have been in these worlds is probably the biggest draw of the genre to me. I think in those worlds of grandeur characters are able to be pushed even further emotionally, broken down in ways that would not be possible in the constraints of a more real world. Paul Atreides facing his destiny as a Messiah, Aragorn accepting his lineage and leading the Dead Men of Dunharrow into battle, or a young moisture farmer finding out he is one of the last of a group of Mystics. 


Do you read other author’s books when you’re writing? If so, do you read the same genre or something different?


In the past I have tried to stay away from reading other author's books while I am writing. I have always had the concern that some aspects of other author's stories will find their way into my own. However, lately I have found that as long as I have the structure of my story laid out, reading other author's books serve only to motivate me to improve my own writing. I do not have a specific genre that I will lean toward while writing, instead I just read in the same manner as if I were not.


What is the most difficult part of the entire writing process for you? Queries, pitches, editing..etc.


The most difficult part of the writing process for myself has always been the editing process. I usually find myself constantly changing things, whether adding or subtracting from what I've written, and never finding an end to that process. It is extremely difficult to find a stopping point when going back through anything that I have written. With my novel, 'The Malef Chronicles' I spent twice as much time editing the story then I did in writing it.


If you could have the same type of career as any author currently publishing who would it be and why?


Scott Sigler is definitely the author whose career I would want. I greatly appreciate the way in which Mr. Sigler has gone about in finding his audience and putting out his own stories. His use of new media to help introduce himself and his work to his audience is amazing and very inspiring to me.


Author's Bio: A child of the 80's, Bob Horbaczewski grew up immersed in both Science Fiction and Fantasy. Inspired at a young age to write, Bob found a passion in story telling and was rarely found without a pen and pad to write with. Lost to the wonders of Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Dune, Dungeons and Dragons, Marvel, DC, and numerous other stories, Bob became determined to craft his own tales. In every spare moment of his life, Bob found time to write. However, in the summer of 2006 one idea began to consume his creative process. Born years earlier in a wild hailstorm of thought, The Malef Chronicles found a pressure to be brought to a more refined form. Years prior Bob had dreamed of crafting an epic nine part story of galactic wars, betrayals, love, death, and wonder and in 2006 he finally took the steps to begin that very story.


https://www.facebook.com/Themalefchronicles

twitter.com/malefchronicles 



Blurb: In the distant future, Colin Kinison, a brash, young and arrogant pilot is thrust into the middle of an impeding galactic war after his ship is suddenly attacked while investigating an unusual anomaly at the edge of known space. O'Tel, king of the Ter'Ok'Zhu, an ancient race of mystics, recruits Colin to help him stop Xyrus, Dark Lord of the Belgae, from assassinating a once thought lost Princess. A tale of swordplay and space fights, bringing together fantasy and science fiction, The Malef Chronicles offers an epic journey into the fantastic.

Excerpt 


Colin now stood on the edge at the observation deck strapped into his flight suit, a hybrid design that allowed for freer mobility than a full space suit. It still protected its wearer from the harsh vacuum of deep space, though it could not sustain life for an extended period. He looked back at his squadron, fear and admiration covered their faces. His ice blue eyes caught the disapproving glare of Lieutenant Commander Sasha Rogers. The Yin to his Yang, Sasha was just as striking as he was with her flowing red hair and piercing green eyes. Hers was the only look of disgust amongst the squad. Her every thought packed into one angered look. He could feel her thoughts cut into his consciousness having heard them vocalized countless times before. Always showing off. Arrogant. Prideful. Pointless.


Colin simply gave her a nod, wink, and then placed his helmet on. The faceplate was in the shape of a black ebony skull, with bright red eyes. Many men, all leaders of the Reaper Squadron, the most elite squadron in the U.T.A. had worn this helmet, but none with such a blatant disregard for the rules of conduct placed before them. Arthur enlisted Colin in the U.T.A. in an attempt to create some sense of stability in the boy’s life. Always a rebel, it only pushed Colin further in the intensity of his exploits. Colin always pushed his limits, both to test himself and in a vain attempt to draw attention from his father, even if it was negative. That desire allowed him literally to soar past his peers. His bravado, though at times regarded as fool hearty, had become the stuff of legend amongst the younger enlisted. Colin’s daring was both his greatest strength and weakness. In respect to his father, regardless of the result, he would accomplish both of his goals today. 
Colin walked through the shield that was protecting the interior of the ship from the vacuum of space out onto the flight deck. The view was divine, as if something beyond mortal had found a way to express itself tangibly. Even a few days in the brig could not erase the vision set before him. The red sun of the Kodos system was gargantuan and its reflection cast a ghastly red glow around the entire ship, as though a red ocean had flowed up and consumed the ship. The spectacle hypnotized him with its splendor. 


Days prior when Colin first presented his idea of riding one of the Seasicks, cheers from nearly the entire squadron had greeted him. Sasha warned him of the consequences of such a stunt, as logic and a sense of duty ruled her motivations.


 “This is stupid. Overriding its control board could cause it to demagnetize and go flying off into deep space with you on its back. Knowing the Admiral he’d probably just leave you out there to teach you a lesson,” she had said. 


“What lesson, how to die a cold and painful death?  He loves me too much to let that happen, but even if it did, my boots are magnetized. I’ll be fine,” Colin replied. 


ZOOM!  A seasick breezed by Colin, shocking him back to reality. Now the decisive moment had come. To turn back, Colin would face not only embarrassment and shame from his squad, but he would never hear the end of it from Sasha. He could not bear that fate, so out across the deck he walked to the seasick that had so recently buzzed by him. It chirped in response to his presence.


“Hey there little buddy,” Colin quipped at the robot, not that it could understand or respond to his comment, but the simple routine helped calm his nerves. 


Colin removed a magnetic strip from his suit. A crude creation put together in his spare time, this small black strip of silicon and steel was Colin’s ticket to glory. In theory the strip would interfere with the Seasick’s primary functions just enough for him to directly interface and take control of the bot. Sasha had helped him design it, as countless failed attempts to dissuade him from his prior stunts had taught her that it was better to help keep him as safe as possible, than see what damage he would cause if left to his own devices. As with most schemes thought up in the middle of the night, this one sounded worse and worse with each passing moment. Colin reached the seasick. There was no predicting how it would react to him jumping on board, yet alone how its system would react to the interference from the magnetic strip. There was only one-way to find out; Colin leapt. 


The most agile of leaps it was not, but it was beautiful nonetheless. Colin landed square on the back of the Seasick and made a grotesque thud. The air from his lungs rushed out of his mouth, leaving him mere seconds to regain his composure. The Seasick would be alerting for help at any moment. This was his shining moment and suddenly ego overtook him. Colin’s mind trailed off to the future, of the stories that would be told with such brevity. He looked back at his squad and waved in triumph. Not thinking Colin lost his grip and fumbled the magnetic strip, dropping it to the empty depths of space. All of his glory lost in a heartbeat, in a single act of foolish bravado. In desperation, Colin lunged for the strip. His legs barely hung onto the side of the Seasick as the strip floated further and further away, gone forever. The Seasick’s alarm wailed. His failure was now complete. 

1 comment:

Jenn Nixon said...

Thank you for blogging today, Bob! It was wonderful to have you!