September 26, 2016

Jenn's TV Pilot recaps - Part 1

TV Season has finally kicked off. It seems weird that I'm still watching summer shows, but we'll just tuck that under the carpet for now. So far, I'm kinda impressed with the pilots. There are still a few to go, but here are the ones I've watched and what I thought.

THIS IS US - This was awesome. Great cast, great characters, and lots of realistic people. This is us is a character driven show about a group of people who share the same birthday. Not much of a plot yet, but the show had a great twist at the end. I'll probably be watching this one.

LETHAL WEAPON - I've been a Damon fan for a while, and this is probably the best thing I've seen him in. He's not over the top funny, but funny, and he balances out the crazy coming off his partner exactly like Danny Glover did in the movies. The pilot felt like Lethal Weapon. I'm sure this is going to be a weekly procedural cop show, so I may not watch it, but I'll check out a couple more episodes.

THE GOOD PLACE - I adore Kristen Bell. She's so funny, most people probably didn't know that. Well, she dies and goes to "the good place" instead of the bad, but she probably should be in the bad place, because she's a terrible person. Her soul mate is going to try to help her be better My Fair Lady style, similar to Selfie, which was a much better show than it got credit form. I don't watch many comedy shows but I think I'll record this one a few more times and see how I feel.

NOTORIOUS - I was super pissed when they canceled Covert Affairs, I really liked Piper Perabo, so I was happy to see she's another fantastic character in another great show. This show is loosely based on real people, one a media mogul the other a criminal lawyer. Fantastic pilot with strong diverse characters. It's like Newsroom meets the Scandal team. It doesn't seem like it'll be a procedural law show, so that's a plus for me. I'll be watching more.

MACGUYVER - I don't think this one will catch on. Sorry. First, it has narration, which is fine for the beginning but gets annoying throughout the show. They tried to be all Sherlock with the text on the screen which was even more annoying, and then of course the twist was super annoying because I saw it coming a mile away. Pass.

DESIGNATED SURVIVOR - As much as it pains me to say this, I probably won't be watching this one either. I'm kinda over shows where we're being attacked by groups of bad people and have to figure out who they like Quantico from last season. The cast is very solid and the show was intriguing, and you all know I love Kiefer, but I don't care who did it and I don't care that some nerdy guy is now the president surrounded by a bunch of tools and assholes who all want to be in power and in charge of the country. I'll watch the debate tonight, that's enough for me. Pass.

PITCH - This one, apparently, didn't do well in the raitings, but I really liked it. I played baseball. I loved it, actually. I hate watching it on TV because it's boring, but I love baseball movies, so I was very excited to see this one. The plot was a little annoying in how they treated her first game, but I get it, it's an underdog story. They also added a twist, which I'm still not sure if it's cheesy or interesting, I guess it depends on where they go with it. I'll watch a few more of this one too.

So, what have you watched so far? What do you love? What did you hate?

No comments: